Tiffin Cross Country Carnival Sat. 9/9 (High School only)
Results available at http://www.baumspage.com/cc/tiffin/2017/
Course maps: High School Course
Hedges Boyer Park
491 Coe St.
Tiffin, OH 44883
6:30am – Bus leaves from High School (est. arrival 8:00am)
9:35am – Girls’ Div. III Varsity
10:05am – Boys’ Div. III Varsity
11:25am – Boys’ Div. III Open
3:30pm – Estimated return time
3:30pm – Estimated return time
Meet Notes – This meet is truly something to behold. One of the largest meets in the country, this carnival is in its 49th year and features most of the top teams and individual runners in the state. The first race of the day kicks off at 8:30am, and the last race doesn’t start until 5:25pm. Most of these races will have upwards of 240 runners, making it a pretty intense and unique experience for each participant. This also happens to be the same course on which the Regional meet is run, giving us an opportunity to preview the course without making a special trip in late October. The course is challenging to be sure, but also ripe for some very fast times so it’s a great opportunity all around for the Viking runners.
Parent/spectator information is available here: http://www.baumspage.com/cc/tiffin/2017/2017%20Parent%20Info.pdf
A few things of note:
- Tiffin is about 90 minutes from EHS, so give yourself plenty of time
- Parking can be challenging. Plan to enter on Summit Street (the “bottom” of the park) and walk to the upper area. You can enter off Coe Street, but you have to pass through several areas that are blocked off during races, making it very difficult to get through. Again, give yourself plenty of time.
- They run a VERY tight schedule. If they say the boys’ open race is at 11:25 AM, that gun will go off at 11:25 AM.
- The side of the start area near the finish is typically very crowded, as are several other areas on that side of the course. There’s a lot of people here, so bring a dose of patience 🙂
- Cell coverage is really bad. Calling, texting, tweeting, etc. is a gamble at any given time.
- The t-shirts for this meet are usually pretty cool, and you’ll often see runners wearing them at other meets throughout the year. This meet is somewhat legendary among the high school cross country community.
- We are planning on stopping for lunch during the drive back. We welcome anyone to join us, just be advised it may be crowded with 23 runners plus coaches and parents. We’ll let everyone know Saturday where we decided to stop.
This meet has always been held the same day as the Archbold Invitational, and so Evergreen has always graciously declined the invitation to attend the Tiffin Cross Country Carnival. We are very excited to make our debut this year and give our runners a taste of a meet like no other in the area. They’ve worked hard, and they deserve it!
*There will be concessions available. However, we ask that athletes have a healthy breakfast that morning and NOT eat concession food until after they have competed. We will have healthy snacks provided by parents; athletes are strongly encouraged to partake of these AFTER competing.