Tiffin Cross Country Carnival Sat. 9/8 (High School only)
Results available at http://www.baumspage.com/cc/tiffin/2018/
Course maps: High School Course
Hedges Boyer Park
491 Coe St.
Tiffin, OH 44883
6:15am – Bus leaves from High School (est. arrival 7:45am)
8:30am – Girls’ Div. III Open
9:35am – Girls’ Div. III Varsity
10:05am/11:00am – Boys’ Div. III Varsity (time slot TBD)
11:25am – Boys’ Div. III Open
3:30pm – Estimated return time
3:30pm – Estimated return time
Meet Notes – One of the largest meets in the country, this carnival is in its 50th year and features most of the top teams and individual runners in the state. The first race of the day kicks off at 8:30am, and the last race doesn’t start until 4:45pm. Most of these races will have upwards of 240 runners, making it a pretty intense and unique experience for each participant. This also happens to be the same course on which the Regional meet is run, giving us an opportunity to preview the course without making a special trip in late October. The course is challenging to be sure, but also ripe for some very fast times so it’s a great opportunity all around for the Viking runners. We ran really well here last year, and the conditions look good to do so again.
Note – because our girls run in the very first race, we need to be LEAVING the high school no later than 6:15am. This means we expect all athletes to be there PRIOR to 6:15am so we are loaded and leaving on time.
Parent/spectator information is available here: http://www.baumspage.com/cc/tiffin/2018/Parent%20_d_%20Spectator%20Info.pdf
A few things of note:
- Tiffin is about 90 minutes from EHS, so give yourself plenty of time
- Parking can be challenging. Plan to enter on Summit Street (the “bottom” of the park) and walk to the upper area. You can enter off Coe Street, but you have to pass through several areas that are blocked off during races, making it very difficult to get through. Again, give yourself plenty of time.
- They run a VERY tight schedule. If they say the girls’ varsity race is at 9:35 AM, that gun will go off at 9:35 AM.
- The side of the start area near the finish is typically very crowded, as are several other areas on that side of the course. There’s a lot of people here, so bring a dose of patience 🙂
- Cell coverage is really bad. Calling, texting, tweeting, etc. is a gamble at any given time.
- The t-shirts for this meet are usually pretty cool, and you’ll often see runners wearing them at other meets throughout the year. This meet is somewhat legendary among the high school cross country community. That this is the 50th year only adds to the allure.
- We are planning on stopping for lunch during the drive back. We welcome anyone to join us, just be advised it may be crowded with 23 runners plus coaches and parents. We’ll let everyone know Saturday where we decided to stop.
*There will be concessions available. However, we ask that athletes have a healthy breakfast that morning and NOT eat concession food until after they have competed. We will have healthy snacks provided by parents; athletes are strongly encouraged to partake of these AFTER competing.